The partnership between families and the school has a positive impact on children’s achievement.
- Well thought through home learning activities are powerful tools to develop learning. Families are the most influential role models in any child’s life and helping them to become independent learners is an important life skill.
- Opportunities to talk with each other are so important and can be a simple as reflecting upon the day or week. Sharing feelings is crucial. A great website for starting discussions is www.pobble365.com. Or you might prefer www.onceuponapicture.co.uk.
- We recognise that all children need leisure time and hope that our guidance reflects a balance so children can extend and consolidate their learning with family support while still allowing ‘downtime’ with their family and friends. Most of our classes have a family What’s App group and there are regular meetups in the park at weekends or during holidays. If you are unsure about this, speak to one of our family helpers.
- We very much feel that hearing your child read and reading to them no matter how old they are is extremely valuable and your child will benefit greatly. Asking questions about what they think is going on or why a character may be feeling the way they do about a situation is very helpful not only for their reading but also their writing. Download our Reading Vipers PDFs to support your conversations about reading at home. Also, there are supporting documents within your child’s home reading record. As a family member or carer, this is your responsibility to support and maintain.
- Practising basic spelling patterns is also a valuable skill. Your child will have access to a spelling shed username and password. Ask your child’s teacher for support and go to www.spellingshed.com.
- In addition, children in Year 2 have access to a home Lexia account. Go to www.lexiauk.co.uk.
- Basic numeracy skills to improve their fluency- such as tables and number bonds are also crucial in understanding patterns in number. There are some learning activities such as spellings and tables that simply need to be learned and it is the speed and the accuracy of the recall that is so important. Again, your child will have a times table rockstars username and login. Go to www.ttrockstars.com/login.
- We have recently subscribed to Numbots for children in KS1 and for those children who need some extra support with mathematics. Check it out...Numbots
- Finally, if you are unsure about how much help to give, you should discuss it with your child's teacher. They will be pleased to see you and will help you to get the balance right. Together we can make a difference. Thank you for your support.